Thursday, September 10, 2009

Boston Baby Shower

On Thursday Sept. 3, Birgit Swain and Kristen Mills threw a wonderful baby shower for me. I was getting excited to be the guest of honor and have loving friends celebrate the life of my new baby!!
There were a total of about 14 people there, and a few planned to attend but for one reason or another were unable to make it. My manager from work RSVP'd that she was going to come, but her mother had been in the hospital and not really doing well at all, so I competely expected her to not come. She didn't attend for the whole event, but she did stop by and drop off a group gift from the managing directors from my office. She didn't stay much longer than to take a picture, but it really touched me that she showed up. When I told everyone that "This is my boss!" the whole group got excited and practically gave her an applause. They thought that it was meaningful for her to stop by too. It really made my night!
I can tell that Birgit and Kristen went through a lot of work to get this event to go along smoothly. We started off with introductions that included our names and a horrific birth experience or a punishment from our mothers. We spent probably almost an hour just talking before we really got to the gifts, but it was just so much fun! They also had a game of a bottle full of tropical Mike 'n Ikes where the guests had to guess the number of candies with the prize being the bottle. Birgit also asked everyone to take a card and write some advice or whatever they wanted to say to the Mom-to-Be. After the party, Birgit took all those cards and put them into a scrapbook/baby-journal she put together for me. Her gift came a couple days after the shower because she wanted to include those notes from everyone, but it wasn't any less appreciated. It was such a great event, and I am so grateful for the generosity and kindness of these two great friends, Kristen and Birgit. Thank you!!
There are too many pictures to add into the post, so if you're interested in looking, I added a slide show to the right sidebar of the blog. I've also included a different slideshow that shows all the baby gear and gifts that I already received. I know that I'm not quite ready for the baby to come just yet, but I'm getting closer and closer...more and more excited to meet our little Canon.

Oh, by the way, I have been somewhat hesitant to post his name because I figured that it's always possible that the name will change before he's born...but I think we're set with what name we'll give him:

Canon Michael Dahl

Mark and I wanted to go with a musical term theme for all of our kids (gender permitting over the years), and he always said he'd name one of his kids after his best friend, Michael Meservy. I say that Michael is after my father, Michael Brown...but either way, it still works for both of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute name! Your getting soo close. hang in there!