Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Ultrasound

So yesterday I went back to the doctor for another ultrasound. This time Baby Dahl was still being somewhat camera shy, but I think he was in a better position this time than last week. The sonographer looked at me and said, "You're thin, and pretty fit, but you're really hard to scan." So I guess the bad images are really MY fault, not the baby's. *shrugs* However, some exciting news for me was that I got to see the baby kick, and I felt it!! I thought to myself, so THAT's what the baby kicks feel like. I had been experiencing that for a little while now, but I consciously believed that it was NOT the baby. So, seeing it happen and then feeling it helped me to feel much better. I really do feel him kicking, albeit not that often, but I do feel it! I'm so happy!!
I was hoping to be able to get a few more pictures for my small ultrasound image collection, but this time the sonographer didn't print off anything for me. I then told her that I thought that a shot of the little feet she got was really adorable and she asked me if I had received any pictures from my previous visit. I told her that all I got was the one that showed that it was a boy and that the other lady tried to get a picture of the face, but his hands were always covering it so she couldn't get a good picture. So, this time the sonographer got back in her chair and gooped me up again and said, "Let's see if I can get you a good picture. He's not really in a profile position, so I don't know if I can!" And this is what she was able to get!!

This one she gaped at and thought it was so adorable and precious... My first thought was that it looked like the cover to a horror movie. When I showed Mark, he said it reminded him of the movie "Hollow Man." True, I do think it's cute because I can see the features of his face, but in and of itself I think it's kind of a freaky picture. Don't you just love technology?

These ones prove yet again that Baby Dahl likes to have his hands up by his face all the time. It almost looks like he's sucking his thumb, but you can count all 5 digits, so he's really not. Maybe holding onto his nose is going to be his comfort habit!?!?! I thought these were cute too!
Honestly, I really like being able to see the baby kick and move, but I'm starting to get a little frustrated with this office. I know that they'd want to have the proper documentation with good images of what they want to have on record, and my belly/baby combo is just not making that happen, but they want me to come back so that he can look at the heart one more time. As you watch it beat in the ultrasound, you can literally count all 4 chambers, but there's no still shot image to prove it. I'm sure they know that it's inconvenient for me to have more appointments so they don't try to be too bossy about it...but seriously? I don't really understand WHY they want me to come back. Why can't they just put a note in my record that states that they couldn't get a good image, include a few of the bad images, and include a note that they don't think anything is wrong. The doctor said that the nuchal fold measurement is marginal, and even though my blood test results came back normal with 92% accuracy, they won't be able to tell for certain whether the baby will have Downs Syndrome unless they do the amnio. Honestly, I don't care that there is a risk of 6-8% of women with normal results having a DS baby! I just want them to only call me back if they think there is a significant risk...like say a 35% risk or something. Sorry to go on a little rant, but I think that going in every few weeks just to have my blood pressure taken, and to have the doctor listen to the heartbeat with nothing else going on, is enough inconvenience to worry about. (Yes, yes...I know there is more going on with each visit, but it certainly doesn't feel like they do much else!) Don't get me wrong, I know that getting good prenatal care throughout the entire pregnancy is very important, and I want to do what is best for my baby. And maybe I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to skip my lunch break for a few days in order make up the lost work time. A pregnant lady shouldn't be denied her one and only chance to go outside and enjoy the happy sunshine when it lasts. :) My job gets so mundane that I really look forward to having a lunch break. Oh well...it will all be worth it in the end!!

Oh, and on a much happier side note...I've noticed some fun changes in Mark's behavior over the past few days. He's been reaching out to touch my belly more often, and talking to the baby through my belly button. It's fun to watch him get more and more excited about having a son, even if it is only little by little. :D

3 comments:

Cami said...

Hey, if you don't care about the test results, you don't have to go back in for more ultrasounds! You can just say no.

I love the 3-D ultrasounds. I agree that the first shot looks like some sort of horror movie face. But at least the head is all there... when I had a 3-D ultrasound at 14 weeks, Syd's brain wasn't fully developed, and it looked like she had a huge hole in her head. Now THAT is freaky.

I'm glad you got to feel (and recognize) the baby kick. He'll get bigger, and the movements will become unmistakable. Oh, pregnancy is fun times!

LittleBrownFamily said...

Wow...what a cool picture! The 3D pics I got of Adam weren't nearly that clean! Yay for Baby Dahl!
I understand your frustration...if they can tell it's okay, then let it be! They can document what they see.
Well, good luck with all the rest!
Love ya!

Rakhi said...

Baby Dahl is so cute! I can't wait to see him when he joins us in the world!

While the appointments may seem like a waste of time, yes, all they do is weigh you, make you pee in a cup, and check your fundal height, it's important because they want to see how YOU are doing. The majority of the babies are healthy, but not all mommies are (I mean emotionally, not physically!)

I am so happy to see Baby Dahl! You'll have so much fun teaching him about sports!

Remember how I wanted a boy? Every day I thank God I had a girl! Today I taught her about lip gloss!

You're doing so well! I think you're a super mommy, and every day you get better! Baby Dahl is lucky to have you!