Canon had his 15-month wellness visit this morning, and I thought everything was perfectly normal until talking with the doctor. His height seems to be normal, 2' 8" which is the 75th percentile where he's been the past few visits. His weight is steady at the 10th percentile (21 lbs 6.5 oz), so that's good. I'm not so nervous about his diet as I was the last time, however, now I have a new concern. Apparently Canon's head circumference of 49 cm is totally humongous. His head has grown dramatically over the past few visits, so the doctor asked me to come back again next month to measure it again. As long as he's not showing any other symptoms, like vomiting, then there's not big worry; but if his head continues in this trend, it could be sign of an abnormal growth and they would need to do a CT scan to make sure he doesn't have a tumor or whatever. It's possible that he could just have a huge head that is growing faster, and the rest of his body will catch up soon. I never noticed that his head looked big because he just seems to be doing great in everything else... and babies heads are just big. I guess that might be the reason his shirts have started to feel snug. I thought it was just because he's now 15 months, so I shouldn't expect that 12month clothes should still fit. (Silly mommy!)
But look at this face... does he look like his head is huge to you?
Also Canon's language might be lagging a little behind. Now, to tell you the truth, I'm not really worried about it, but the doctor says that he should be saying a few words by now. So, I need to work a little harder to limit the tv and rev-up the language stimulation. The doctor suggests that I try to get him to actually say words instead of just pointing to things or going to get them. I figured he's just not quite ready to talk, but it won't be too long. Just the other night I told him to pick up his ball and he grabbed it and shouted, "Bah bah bah!" So I think he's close, but not just there yet. With a little more concentration on that aspect, I'm hoping we'll see improvement over the next month or so.
1 comment:
it's interesting what different drs think. Sammy's was exstatic that his head got so huge so fast. They didn't worry. However, he was 4-6 months old, just the right time for a growth spurt. Just a big head isn't a bad thing, even a growing head on a growing boy.
Has his head significantly jumped percentiles since his 12 month? What exactly is teh dr concerned about?
Post a Comment