Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Pregnancy Story

So Mark and I were planning on starting our family some time this year (2009), but it happened just a little sooner than we had anticipated. Back when Mark was in China in the Summer of 2008, I had stopped taking the birth control pill to allow my body to regulate and I was fascinated with a program called the Fertility Awareness Method. I started charting my fertility, but when Mark returned from China he didn't feel comfortable with depending on that as birth control. So I returned to the pill. It was a lot less hassle anyways.

I noticed that those two months when I was off the pill and charting, I was showing signs of not ovulating. So I assumed that it would take me at least two months before I started ovulating again when I got off the pill later. So in early February I felt that I ought to get off the pill, resume charting, and allow the pill to flush out of my system before my body would be ready to conceive this summer. Well, I did chart, and I found that I was showing some signs of ovulation that I had never experienced before, even before ever going on the pill. So, it turned out that it took me only a week and a half to get pregnant rather than several months. Oops! Oh well, we were planning on starting to try conceiving, it just wasn't quite in the plans for this early on in the year.

I suspected that I was pregnant (due to charting) long before I really knew. I remember feeling really hungry all day long at work and not really knowing why. Then by the first week in March, when I knew it was time to take a home pregnancy test, I was confused by the result.
(see photo)

The second line was so faint that I wasn't really sure if it was really there. So I took it again the next morning, and it looked identical. Well, I showed the pictures to my friend Theresa Bailey when I went to visit her in Maryland, and she confirmed that they were positive. (I was so glad to at least be able to tell one friend for moral support because Mark was still not sure how he felt about the idea, and he was just too busy and stressed out to get excited over it. I needed one person to talk to who would be excited for me and help me along before I actually got the word out to everyone.)

Our original hope was to have the baby come close to graduation in May of 2010. Now the baby should be arriving sometime around Halloween (official due date is Nov. 1, 2009). We're grateful that I'm not due in February or January because that would make traveling to Utah for the Christmas Holidays a very difficult thing to do. As it is now, we plan on taking the baby with us, which is much nicer than in the end of the 3rd trimester when I'm not allowed on a plane! I know it will be in the middle of flu season with a small infant without immunizations, but I think it will be worth it. Hopefully we'll be able to make the trip actually happen when the time comes.

5 comments:

Cami said...

I was charting my basal body temperature back when we were trying to conceive, and I could see I was pregnant before I could officially test. It's so interesting how that works out. Funny how you got pregnant way faster than you realized you could. We're trying to figure out when to have our next kid, but we don't know how long it will take to conceive again, so it's confusing.

Sarah Fackrell said...

Hi Kat, I have been dying to talk to you! Sorry I haven't called...first I was preparing the house for company, and then Adam and Joseph got really sick, and they still aren't over it.
I can't begin to say how excited I am for you!! It's amazing that you concieved so quickly...I think that I did when I first got off the pill, too, but it wasn't viable and I lost it before I really knew I had it. I did have a confusing pregnancy test much like the one you had.
Yay! I'll definitely keep tabs on this blog!

Sarah Fackrell said...

Oh dear...I didn't know my friend Sarah was signed in...this comment (and the one above) is from Mary, your sis...you probably figured that, but just in case....

Anonymous said...

That's what I thought too! haha. (= Even when your "planning" God still does it his way! haha! We are very happy for you! I hope first trimester is going alright!

Rakhi Upadhyay said...

Don't worry about the flu! You'll have to get a flu shot because you are pregnant, and the little Dahl-fetus will benefit from it. The antibodies will stay in him/her for a few months after he/she is born. Then if you are nursing, your baby will be just fine!